Troubleshooting a Maytag Microwave that Won't Turn on
If your microwave will not turn on, there are a couple of things that you can do to troubleshoot. Below are the steps you can follow to solve your microwave issue.
- Check the power
- Check to see if the microwave is heating
- Check the door
- Check for error or display codes
Checking the Power
- Verify the power cord is connected to a grounded, operational outlet.
- Check the outlet. If you are unaware if it's working, plug in a household lamp or other small appliance to verify that the outlet is working.
- Check to see if a household circuit breaker has tripped or if the household fuse has been blown. If the problem continues, call an electrician.
Check to See if the Microwave is Heating
To test if the microwave is heating:
- Place one cup (250 mL) of water on the microwave turntable
- Start the microwave oven for 1 minute on the HI setting (100% Power)
If the water is warm the microwave is heating. If the water is not warm click on the link below for additional troubleshooting information.
CLICK HERE for Troubleshooting a Microwave that is Not Heating
Check the Door
The microwave will not start or function correctly if the door is not properly closed all the way.
- Check to make sure there is nothing blocking or preventing the door from closing all the way.
- If this is the first use, ensure that the shipping spacer (on some models) is removed from the inside of the door. Remove all packaging material and firmly close the door.
Check for Error or Display Codes
If your microwave has an error code displayed, see below for additional information.
- "LOC" or "L" : Indicates the control lock is on or enabled. CLICK HERE for more information on Control Lock
- Demo Mode: The Demo Mode is ideal for learning how to use the microwave oven. When set, functions can be entered without actually turning on the magnetron. The microwave oven light will come on, the fan will run and, if on, the turntable will rotate. CLICK HERE for more information on how to set Demo Mode
- A different error code? If your microwave is displaying a different error code, please refer to your Owner's Manual for additional information.
If you would like to download or view product literature for your appliance, please visit our Manuals and Literature page.