Gas Burner Flames are too High or Low, Uneven, Flickering, Yellow, or Noisy on your Maytag Cooktop.
If your gas burner flames are not normal, check to make sure the burner ports are clean.
To clean the ports: Clean clogged burner ports with a straight pin, needle, or small-gauge wire as shown.
- Do not use a wooden toothpick; it can break off and prevent proper gas flow.
- Do not clean in the dishwasher; detergent can clog gas ports.
- Do not enlarge or distort the port; this will lead to unstable flames.
Is an ultrasonic humidifier used in the house?
An ultrasonic humidifier in the home can create water vapor mist that carries minerals into the air. When passed through a flame, the minerals can create different flame colors. The humidifier does not need to be located near the range for it to affect the flame color. Using distilled water will reduce the effect on the flame appearance.
- Calcium can produce an orange or red color.
- Potassium can produce a lilac or pink color. Potassium is found in natural water and is also used in some water softeners.
Is the burner base and burner cap positioned properly?
- A flame spreader or burner base must be seated on the burner base to light and perform properly.
- The burner cap must be seated properly on the correct flame spreader or burner base to light and perform properly.
Typical burners showed below:
NOTE: Always keep the burner cap in place when using a surface burner. A clean burner cap, especially the bottom of the cap, will help avoid poor ignition and uneven flames. Always clean the burner cap after a spillover and routinely remove and clean the caps.
- Be sure the correct burner cap is on the correct burner base. The burner base and the underside of the burner cap may have a mark indicating which burner cap and burner base match, as shown below.
- Reinstall the burner cap, ensuring the alignment pins(if present) are properly aligned with the burner cap, as shown below.
- The burner cap should fit flush with the burner base and have minimal side-to-side movement.
Does the surface burner make a popping noise?
The burner could be wet from a spillover or cleaning. Allow the burner to completely dry and replace the burner cap. You can speed up the drying process by blowing cool air on the area using a hairdryer.
Is propane gas being used?
Compare the flame to the illustrations below. If the flames look like A:
- A burner port (hole) may be clogged.
- Check to be sure the burner caps are positioned correctly.
- If LP (propane) gas is being used, the cooktop may have been converted improperly; call for service.
Normal flames look like B or C.
If you would like to download or view product literature for your appliance, please visit our Manuals and Literature page.